Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Flesh Cartel Series, Heidi Belleau and Rachel Haimowitz



BLURB----The Flesh Cartel, orphaned brothers Mat and Dougie Carmichael are stolen in the night from their own home. Taken to a horrifying processing facility, they are assessed, microchipped, and subjected to unspeakable brutality—all in preparation for sale to the highest bidder.
In a world where every person has a price, the beautiful and subduable PhD student Dougie is highly prized. His brother, a rough-edged MMA fighter, is less desirable—and potentially too dangerous—but he still has his own appeal.
Abused and locked up under round-the-clock surveillance, with no idea where they are or even why they’ve been taken, escape seems impossible, which leaves staying together their only hope. And after being separated once by the foster system, they'll do anything to keep it from happening again. Anything at all.

This is only the blurb for book one in order to prevent potential spoilers. 

It's taken me three books to form an actual review that's not just me bitching and being all WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?!?!?!? I hate it, I love it, I hate it. But I'm going to try..........


The writing of these books is really something special. The writers have this amazing ability of forcing the readers to experience the trauma alongside Dougie and Mat. 
It's not simply voyeuristic, you sufferwith them. Via Nikolai in this one. 

I initially thought the brutality would make me not be able to take the series seriously so I put off reading them and it was only my curiosity that got the better of me, that and the fact that I like to push myself and my reading limits. 

Don't get me wrong.....I love dark, violent and disturbing- it's perversely fascinating watching people struggle and wondering how people are going to cope. My only concern was that because they are short I may not get anything except dark, violent and disturbing without any character depth. 

So before I picked the up and started reading them I didn't have much interest in such a- what I naively assumed- mindlessly violent abusive short book. How much story can there be? I thought. How emotionally invested will I get in only 50 pages? I thought. Turns out a lot, its fucking E-motional reading these.

Not enjoyable as such but yeah.....completely overwhelmingly enjoyable. Like an actual roller-coaster thinking NOOOOOOOO I'M GOING TO DIE. I HATE THIS REALLY REALLY HATE IT. Then get off and like huh...I wanna do that again!!! 
God Fuckin Shit, they're so good.

The sense of futility and suffering is just so real its unnerving. It's incredibly frustrating reading these, I'm three books in and essentially nothing has happened except my poor boys have suffered. That's not even a criticism, I don't mean there is a lack of plot just simply that the guys have had no reprieve. Nothing good has happened AT ALL .

I don't know what I'm supposed to think of Nikolai, I hate him obviously but I don't at the same time. Don't judge me. He is a strange strange man. Like he gets more satisfaction in the training and the journey rather than a full blown sadistic shitbag. 

Anyway............I don't know where these are going but I hope to god it ends well. Don't know how but please. I need a teeny tiny ray of sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment